Apple & Thyme is run by Julie Gilbert and based in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Julie very much believes that good food education should be accessible for all. The aim of the business is to provide a creative food education for both children and adults along with freelance recipe testing, development and food writing .
Julie is committed to the belief that cooking is a powerful and essential skill that everyone has the right to experience. It is through this belief that Apple & Thyme has been born.
Julie’s background in both science & education has provided a skills range including: teaching both children & adults how to cook, recipe development, PPA cover, advising education professionals how cookery can fit into curriculum subjects along with supporting both SEN and Gifted & Talented in a variety of subjects. Julie also uses her creative skills to write about and develop educational displays/resources geared towards food.
- DBS checked
- CIEH Level 2 – Award in Food Safety
- Paediatric First Aid
- Public Liability Insurance
- Home kitchen rated 5* by East Staffordshire District Council – Environmental Health September 2015.
- BSc (Hons) Biology
- Working in education since November 2006
- Leicestershire County Council – Extended Schools – Oakthorpe Primary School
- Adult Learning Tutor (Cookery) – Derbyshire County Council
- Cookery Club Coordinator (Associate Club) – Let’s Get Cooking
- Food & Lifestyle Writer – SheKnows.co.uk
- Recipe featured in Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook
- Seasoned Courses -Demo chef for children & schools
- BBC Radio Derby – regular guest
- BBC Radio Leicester – guest
- WI guest speaker
- Food Producer for The Posh Pantry
- Marks & Spencer – Guest Food Writer – M&S Stories
- Healthy Schools Working Party – Oakthorpe Primary School
- Prepped! by Vanessa Kimbell – recipe tester
- Bread Revolution by Duncan Glendinning & Patrick Ryan – recipe tester
- Morrisons – recipe writing
- Product reviewing for companies including Cico books, Dr Oetker, Renshaws, Dorset Cereal and Farrington Oils.
- Connections with many local and national businesses within the food and education industry.
- Food blogging